kitchen table math, the sequel: woo hoo! (Friday edition)

Friday, February 8, 2008

woo hoo! (Friday edition)

C. earned 36 out of 34 points on his math quiz this week.

A+

Sure takes the sting out of the 79 he got on his midterm a couple of weeks back. (Can you say "mixed review"?)*

This week's test included the following problems:

One year ago, the average price of a h ome computer system was $1500. Today, the average price is $1100. By what percent has the average cost of a home computer system decreased?

and

Lauren bought organic crackers for $4 after receiving a 25% discount., What was the original price of the crackers?

Seven months ago, in July, C. had no idea how to figure a 10% discount. Five months ago he began this school year with a D- on his first math test.

C+ first quarter grade.

B- second quarter.

More recently: scattered As on quizzes.

Now this.

He's going to make it.

Knock on wood.


tutors and more tutors

I keep hearing about tutors. Lots of kids in the class, it seems, are being tutored. More and more as the year goes along, I gather. C. says one of his pals "has a whole brigade of tutors."

Swell.

This week I learn that at least 2 of the kids are being tutored by other math teachers in the school.

Hiring a math teacher in the school to tutor your child is definitely a good idea, because a math teacher from the school comes to tutoring sessions equipped with:
  • class syllabus
  • course scope and sequence
  • teacher’s edition of the textbook
  • answer key
  • solution manual
  • supplemental Glencoe practice workbooks and answer keys aligned to Glencoe Algebra textbook
  • attendance at department meetings; access to informal conversations amongst colleagues, etc.
  • knowledge of material to be covered on upcoming quizzes and tests

As C. said when he mentioned the teacher-tutors of Irvington, "It's sort of like insider trading."

Yes, it is, son.

Poor C. He has no one but his mother to help, and I don't have any of these things. No syllabus. No scope and sequence. No answer key. And certainly no aforeknowledge of what's going to be on the test. **

It's not that I haven't asked for these things. I have. I've asked. I've asked repeatedly.

I don't have them.

Because I don't have any of these things, and because math teachers here in Irvington ($22,000 per pupil funding) don't collect or correct math homework, I have had to work every homework set myself so that I could correct C's homework.

I finished Homework #73 during the Super Bowl.

After I complete each assignment, C. and I compare notes, figure out which one of us got the wrong answer when our answers differ, and then re-do the problems we missed.

My situation reminds me of Ginger Rogers.

She did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and wearing heels.


* more on this subject anon

** It's possible the other kids' teacher-tutors don't have aforeknowledge of what's going to be on the test, either. But how would I know?


can you FOIL the answers?
woo hoo, Friday edition
differentiated instruction in action

10 comments:

Catherine Johnson said...

newsflash!

I will be doing geometry homework as of tomorrow!

They're starting the Glencoe Geometry book, which my neighbor says is indecipherable.

Fortunately I have the Teacher's Edition this time. She was able to scrounge one on the Teacher's Edition Black Market & she's loaned it to me.

Actually, It may be a gift.

I doubt she wants to spend a lot more time looking at the thing.

Ben Calvin said...

She did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and wearing heels.

Am quite sympathetic to your predicament. However I must take exception to your quote. While, because of the choreography, it may appear that Ginger Rogers is doing everything Fred Astaire did, in reality he is setting the stage and doing the bulk of the steps, as designed by himself and his choreographer, Hermes Pan.

BTW did you know Fred Astaire was a huge vaudeville and music hall star with his sister, Adele, decades before he made movies? She left the act to marry Lord Charles Cavendish, a son of the Duke of Devonshire.

Not to slight Rogers, who was a great actress and dancer....

Catherine Johnson said...

I didn't know!

Cool.

I didn't (necessarily) think Ginger Rogers did everything Fred did, but whatever she did, she did it backwards and wearing high heels.

I'm pretty sure.

Catherine Johnson said...

I am wearing cowboy boots.

It's come to this.

Catherine Johnson said...

wow!

Thanks for the bookstore recommendation!

Anonymous said...

backwards and wearing high heels

Or roller skates, as in the gazebo scene from Shall We Dance?

Catherine Johnson said...

I could have just said "doing it the hard way."

But that wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Tracy W said...

Congratulations on C doing so well in his tests! Really well done"

Catherine Johnson said...

Thanks!

He's hanging in there.

Me, too.

Though I'm getting back in the email-to-the-board business in the wake of this latest revelation.

I'm sure that will be a good use of my time.

Anonymous said...

good for C! not. get a job bitch.