kitchen table math, the sequel: second request

Monday, May 21, 2007

second request

Hi---

Where are we on the Teacher’s Manual for Mathematics A?

TEACHER’S MANUAL W/ANSWER MATHEMATICS COURSE A
ISBN: 1567655475

As I mentioned, I’d like to order a copy so I can begin preteaching next year’s Math A content to Christopher over the summer. I discovered recently that when I briefly preteach material his mastery shoots up. It’s amazing. He is now finding math “easy” and his grades are moving towards the A range.

I own a copy of the Teacher’s Manual for Dressler’s Integrated Mathematics, which I’ve used to check Christopher’s homework and have him re-do problems he’s missed. But there are no copies of the Teacher’s Manual for Mathematics A available online, so I need the school’s help.

Ms. Urban sent Xeroxed copies of the answer key home with students, and all contemporary math textbooks contain answers to half the problems in the back of the book. Carol Gambill, winner of the Edith Mae Sliffe Award from the NCTM and one of the best 8th grade algebra teachers in the country, assigns only problems that have the answers in the book. Here’s what she has to say about this practice:


“Twenty to thirty problems are assigned for homework every evening, ranging from the easiest to the most difficult of a given section of the text. I always assign the odd problems because their answers are in the back of the book. The answers provide the students with road maps to mastery. If they don't get the correct answer it means they turn back, take a detour, change a flat tire, or find a service station.”



Providing an answer key to students is standard practice.

I’d be thrilled to have a Xeroxed copy of the answer key, but if copyright laws are a problem, I’m happy to pay for a copy of the Manual itself. I’m sure other parents would feel the same way.

So let me know.

Thanks ----

Catherine Johnson


all the answers are belong to us
email to the math chair
second request
teacher's manual
it would be unusual
more stuff only teachers can buy
inflammatory
2 weeks off
the return of Ms. K

No comments: