kitchen table math, the sequel: email to the math chair

Thursday, May 17, 2007

email to the math chair

Hi XXX ---

I believe the Phase 4 course for 8th grade will be using Dressler’s Mathematics A — is that right?

If so, I’m wondering whether the department could order a copy of the Teacher’s Manual for me, ISBN: 1567655475. I’ll happily pay for it.

I’d order it myself, but AMSCO doesn’t sell to parents, which means either I’ll have to round up a teacher friend to order it for me, as I did for Integrated Mathematics, or spend hours Xeroxing the copy my neighbor owns, which is the only copy that’s been available on Alibris in 6 months, or have Ed use his NYU stationary to make the purchase after cooking up a story about why a history professor needs a high school mathematics Teacher’s Manual.

I’m under deadline with my book, and I’d really like to be able to put the bulk of my time into that. Last winter I lost a morning of work tracking down the answer key for the State Test Prep book, talking to two different customer reps, providing Irvington school information in order to prove that I qualified for a school discount, awaiting return calls, etc. That is far too much time. (The Triumph test prep books are fantastic, by the way. I ordered one for all 3 middle grades – wonderful.)

I would really appreciate it if the department could simply place the order, or authorize me to do so, whichever is easier.

I plan to preteach some of the Math A course this summer, and for that I need the manual. This is important to Christopher’s learning of mathematics in Irvington Middle School.

Thanks!

Catherine Johnson
xxx.xxxx


all the answers are belong to us
email to the math chair
second request
teacher's manual
it would be unusual
more stuff only teachers can buy
inflammatory
2 weeks off
the return of Ms. K

6 comments:

Catherine Johnson said...

No answer!

Catherine Johnson said...

I will have to follow up on Monday.

Unknown said...

Your husband is faculty, right? It's an idea, and it might not work, but you might ask him to order a desk copy from the publisher.

Catherine Johnson said...

There's not going to be a problem getting a copy.

The school is going to order it for me.

The school is also going to order copies for every other parent who wants one.

Catherine Johnson said...

(I can hear you guys saying, "I'll take that bet.")

Catherine Johnson said...

update: The school did not order a copy of the solution manual for me or any other family.

I did, however, manage to wangle one out of the company by giving my husband's title and address.

After I devoted several hours of my life to arguing with the president of AMSCO (my advice in the wake of this experience: buy nothing from AMSCO) I learned that the school had bought new textbooks from Glencoe.

Now I have the AMSCO solution manuals but not the Glencoe Wraparound Teacher Edition.