kitchen table math, the sequel: Harry Potter & the classics

Friday, June 13, 2008

Harry Potter & the classics

J.K. Rowling majored in Classics:

Looking back at the 21-year-old that I was at graduation, is a slightly uncomfortable experience for the 42-year-old that she has become. Half my lifetime ago, I was striking an uneasy balance between the ambition I had for myself, and what those closest to me expected of me.

I was convinced that the only thing I wanted to do, ever, was to write novels. However, my parents, both of whom came from impoverished backgrounds and neither of whom had been to college, took the view that my overactive imagination was an amusing personal quirk that could never pay a mortgage, or secure a pension.

They had hoped that I would take a vocational degree; I wanted to study English Literature. A compromise was reached that in retrospect satisfied nobody, and I went up to study Modern Languages. Hardly had my parents' car rounded the corner at the end of the road than I ditched German and scuttled off down the Classics corridor.

I cannot remember telling my parents that I was studying Classics; they might well have found out for the first time on graduation day. Of all subjects on this planet, I think they would have been hard put to name one less useful than Greek mythology when it came to securing the keys to an executive bathroom.

I would like to make it clear, in parenthesis, that I do not blame my parents for their point of view. There is an expiry date on blaming your parents for steering you in the wrong direction; the moment you are old enough to take the wheel, responsibility lies with you. What is more, I cannot criticise my parents for hoping that I would never experience poverty. They had been poor themselves, and I have since been poor, and I quite agree with them that it is not an ennobling experience. Poverty entails fear, and stress, and sometimes depression; it means a thousand petty humiliations and hardships. Climbing out of poverty by your own efforts, that is indeed something on which to pride yourself, but poverty itself is romanticised only by fools.

What I feared most for myself at your age was not poverty, but failure.

The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination
Harvard University Commencement Address
on video

C. is to read books 1-12 of The Odyssey this summer.

I've started the book.

The language is not easy.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh. I'm not familiar with the Palmer translation. I like Lattimore. And I must admit, I like the Iliad way better. "They" always say that's a male-female thing since the Iliad is about war and the Odyssey is more, uh, relationshippy.

A couple of thoughts -- check out the Learning Company's Odyssey video with Prof Vandiver if you're into that sort of thing. Watching it alongside may really help illuminate things. (And don't be put off by their totally goofy "rotating" sales -- everything starts with a very high price, and everything is eventually on sale, if not now, then in a few weeks.)

Also, consider whether you'd like him to read a condensed or easier version first so when he tackles the real version(s), he's not struggling with both the language AND the whacked out plot.

More later when I'm not typing one-handed while rocking sick child...

Catherine Johnson said...

OH no!

Get better!

Catherine Johnson said...

The version I have is translated by Robert Fagles----???

That is a GREAT suggestion about The Learning Company.

Catherine Johnson said...

It's The Teaching Company -- right?

(I thought they changed their name?)

Catherine Johnson said...

Oh boy

I should not have gone to that site.

Catherine Johnson said...

News flash: the DVDs for The Odyssey are on sale...

TerriW said...

Oh, yeah. Teaching Company, sorry. I have about 10 of their dvd sets, and every one has been a hit out of the park.

My highest recommendation is the John McWhorter one, "Story of Human Language." Not on sale at the moment, but you know it'll come around again. Amazingly good.

TerriW said...

Oh, Fagles is good, too. The one you linked to was said it was translated by some dude named Palmer, I'd just never heard of that one before.

My very first exposure to Homer was in community college. (My second quarter -- 16 years old, through Post-Secondary Enrollment options program, way back in the day.) It was the E.V Rieu edition, in prose. Not bad for a first-timer.

Later on, well after college was over, did I circle back to Homer and rediscover him. Like I said, now Lattimore is my favorite translation, and I'm starting to dive into Logue's "All Day Permanent Red," etc, books -- a "modern day" translation which so far is very enjoyable.

For my kids, I've picked up a variety of child-appropriate versions -- Black Ships Before Troy, The Boys' and Girls' Herodotus, a few others like that.

Like with Shakespeare, I find it easier to know the story first before I start having to tackle the language.

TerriW said...

The first time I read Homer, it was for school, and it was a slog. And I was a teenager.

It was only after I read it for pleasure, in my 30s, that I read it and realized it was mind-blowing genius. That there was a reason why we're still reading it, almost 3000 years later.

TerriW said...

I come to ktm, and I immediately start posting like Catherine, one thought per post.

I don't know how it happens.

Heh.

Anonymous said...

We don't mind, Terri. More to read.

When I put more than one post at a time I feel guilty for some odd reason. I have no idea why. Catherine can have entire conversations with herself.

Catherine'

You can also grab a middle school or late grade school version of the myths (particularly the Iliad and the Odyssey) at the library just to get the overall story (pictures!). I have most of them from when I afterschooled the boys with them. I've decided not to give them away just yet after reviewing the grown-up versions.

SusanS

TerriW said...

Oh, yeah -- I also just recently found a graphic novel** version of the Odyssey at my local Half Price Books that looks really awesome. It was a whole series of classics in that format -- obviously intended to appeal to boys of a certain age. And, Catherine, I think you might know that age. I picked up about 10 or 12 of them, all that they had. Yay for used bookstores!


**These definitely fall on the "graphic novel" end of the spectrum vs. comic book.

Anonymous said...

"The version I have is translated by Robert Fagles----???"


Yes! Yes! Yes!

Use Fagles.

Also, have C read a simple version (comic is fine) first so that he has a better chance of following the plot.

Oh, yeah. Do use Fagles.

-Mark Roulo

Anonymous said...

I recently read "Black Ships Before Troy," which is an Iliad retelling by Rosemary Sutcliff. (Maybe a homeschool blog recommendation? Not sure.)

She also has an Odyssey one: "The Wanderings of Odysseus."

-m (not Mark) ;-)

Anonymous said...

To be slightly off topic:

he's reading that this summer because he's received summer homework?

in how many classes is he expected to complete summer homework?

Catherine Johnson said...

Like with Shakespeare, I find it easier to know the story first before I start having to tackle the language.

I just saw this!

boy, no kidding

I know what you mean about reading Homer as an adult --- though I must say, I've started to feel impatient with the constant scenes of weeping. Odysseus weeps CONSTANTLY, it seems. Then every once in a while, when someone else gets a turn to weep, Odysseus tells him to suck it up, because what good does weeping do?

As soon as I have these thoughts, I feel intense guilt, because THIS IS THE ODYSSEY.

Catherine Johnson said...

I have about 10 of their dvd sets, and every one has been a hit out of the park.

cool!

I'll start getting them. I've been cruising them for years....but hadn't taken the plunge.

Catherine Johnson said...

m-not-Mark ----- THANKS!

Catherine Johnson said...

When I put more than one post at a time I feel guilty for some odd reason. I have no idea why. Catherine can have entire conversations with herself.

Tell yourself: white space is good.

Catherine Johnson said...

he's reading that this summer because he's received summer homework?

in how many classes is he expected to complete summer homework?


yup

he has summer assignments in:

English
history
biology
religion
classics
guidance

The only subjects he doesn't have assignments in are Latin & math (and I've managed to have him do virtually NO math this summer, though I have gotten him through a couple of assignments in Analyze, Organize, Write).

2500 pages to read, all told

writing:
6 summaries of Science Times articles
answer questions about Book of Genesis
one-paragraph assignments on The Odyssey (I think it's The Odyssey)

Catherine Johnson said...

The graphic novels look like a lot of fun---

SteveH said...

Shotgun Blogging.

Catherine Johnson said...

shotgun blogging!

yeah!