kitchen table math, the sequel: donors choose

Thursday, September 11, 2008

donors choose

Tex found this web site: donorschoose.org:

DonorsChoose.org is a simple way to provide students in need with resources that our public schools often lack. At this not-for-profit web site, teachers submit project proposals for materials or experiences their students need to learn. These ideas become classroom reality when concerned individuals, whom we call Citizen Philanthropists, choose projects to fund.

Proposals range from "Magical Math Centers" ($200) to "Big Book Bonanza" ($320), to "Cooking Across the Curriculum" ($1,100). Any individual can search such proposals by areas of interest, learn about classroom needs, and choose to fund the project(s) they find most compelling. In completing a project, donors receive a feedback package of student photos and thank-you notes, and a teacher impact letter.

Tex writes that, "I started to search the website for 'Core Knowledge' or 'KIPP' proposals, and I may have found a few projects I'm interested in funding. This seems like an excellent way for me to put my charity dollars into something consistent with my interests."


I'm hoping online donor-to-recipient charities will establish a place for themselves. Heard from redkudu today that a teacher she knows had to spend $2000 on classroom supplies recently -- this when the country is spending a half trillion dollars a year on public education.

It's at least conceivable to me that direct-to-recipient charity could have an effect on this situation.

No comments: