kitchen table math, the sequel: success or failure

Thursday, April 22, 2010

success or failure

Constructivist Instruction: Success or Failure by Sigmund Tobias and Thomas M. Duffy

I discovered the book while Googling Barak Rosenshine.

Until last week, reading the Direct Instruction list, I had never heard of Barak Rosenshine. He is apparently Doug Lemov's predecessor;* he did what Lemov did, which was to find highly effective teachers and then watch what they were doing.

Later on, he trained teachers in the techniques and compared their students' achievement to that of students in classrooms with conventional teachers. The teachers trained in direct instruction were more effective.


* Please correct me if I'm wrong - just getting into this. Rosenshine has researched teacher effectiveness and summarized the research; I'm not sure which studies he did.

No comments: