kitchen table math, the sequel: news to me

Saturday, January 19, 2013

news to me

from Education Week:
We hear it all the time. "Students should take ownership of their school."

7 Ways to Increase Student Ownership
By Jennifer Barnett
January 8, 2013
That reminds me.

Back when C. was in middle school, all the students were required to pick up trash strewn around outside by one small group of students. The assistant principal told parents the reason for the policy was that when some students are required to pick up other students' trash, they "take ownership of the school."

When I shared the rationale with C, he said, "But if it's our school, then it's our trash, too, and we don't have to pick it up if we don't want to."

In the edu-world words never mean what you think they mean.

I believe it was Glen who pointed that out.

1 comment:

Catherine Johnson said...

Skimming the article, I see a recommendation to "Err on the Side of Information Overload."

Stop the multiverse.....