kitchen table math, the sequel: help desk - 1st grade reading

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

help desk - 1st grade reading

My memory is going.

I know we've talked about how to do "home assessments" of whether your child is reading at grade level.

What did we say?

I remember using something called the San Diego assessment... I'm going to go plunder the old ktm to see if it's there.

What else did we talk about?

Any suggestions?

I've just had a conversation with a parent of a first grade child, and I realize I don't know what to tell him about how to know where his child's reading stands.

Back shortly --

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've used the Dibels assessment before for my own daughter. You can download it here.

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

"Reading Reflex" has an assessment test in the back of the book. Their public library should have it. Photocopy the test portion, and then read the instructions. If the child has any difficulty in phonics this test will identify what the problem is.

If you want something super-official Sylvan can administer standardized tests such as CAT.

Texas releases its state tests and you can download their reading tests which begin at the third grade level. It's a rough guide but isn't helpful in pinpointing problems.

Catherine Johnson said...

THANK YOU!