kitchen table math, the sequel: Tang and Song

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Tang and Song

from the instructivist:

"Knowledge is constructed by the learner from experience"

I still don't know (and probably never will) how I am going to learn about Tang and Song China by constructing knowledge from experience. Maybe time travel?

Well... I realized this week that we may have been a teensy bit confused about the purpose of constructivism.

Knowledge might be the wrong word.

I fear meaning is the word.

Learners construct meaning.

I think.

3 comments:

Instructivist said...

"Knowledge might be the wrong word."

Could it be that the constructivists don't know what they are talking about? Maybe a lack of critical thinking ability?

The phrase "Knowledge is constructed by the learner from experience" is taken from this site that purports to be knowledgeable about the creed:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/s/j/sjm256/portfolio/kbase/Theories&Models/Constructivism/constructivism.html

Catherine Johnson said...

ah-hah!

I will look it up.

First I have to buy books on how to conduct a survey.

My district is conducting a survey.

help

Catherine Johnson said...

Oh!

I've already been to that site!