kitchen table math, the sequel: A little depressing

Thursday, May 17, 2007

A little depressing

As many of you know, we are moving to Anchorage in August. I was a little depressed to learn that Anchorage's 4th grade math standards are a little weak compared with South Carolina's.
From the Anchorage A Parent's Guide : Fourth - Sixth Grade

4th Grade math

• memorize multiplication/divisionfacts to a product of 100.

From the South Carolina 3rd grade math curriculum standards

1. Recall multiplication and division factsthrough 9.
Oh well, I guess the supplementing of my kids education will continue.

p.s. what is the purpose of the last week of school? It's not like the students learn anything.

3 comments:

LynnG said...

The purpose of the last week (or the last several weeks, as the case may be) is to fulfull the legal requirements of how many days of school there must be.

PaulaV said...

Exactly...that is why I am going to visit my mom and go to Disney World.

Anonymous said...

The purpose of the last week is to keep the next to last week from being useless. At least, that's what I found when my school decided to eliminate the day before Thanksgiving -- now the Tuesday is just as useless as the Wednesday was, and the push is to give us the full week off.