kitchen table math, the sequel: would you move to Ridgewood?

Friday, June 15, 2007

would you move to Ridgewood?

I would!

Actually, I wouldn't move from Irvington to Ridgewood, because Ridgewood has TERC (CMP or Core Plus t/k?) and Irvington has Math TRAILBLAZERS, & Irvington isn't making any moves to dig in deeper. I don't see any more fuzzy math coming to town.

Irvington, as far as I can tell, is innately conservative when it comes to progressive education. The curriculum committee document spelling out what the school was looking for in a math program said that the new curriculum:

a) had to be constructivist
b) had to teach kids their math facts and how to do computations

That's Irvington. (I think.) The district will trail alongside the ed school parade, but they won't be leading it, and they won't be twirling the batons.

Of course, this has the effect of causing us to adopt progressive programs and practices at the precise moment everyone else is dumping them, but I suppose that's the price you pay.

HOWEVER, if Irvington WERE twirling the batons, I'd be thinking about Ridgewood.

11D explains why.

(thank you, Amy P)

2 comments:

TurbineGuy said...

They are all messed up in the comments...

Catherine Johnson said...

it's pretty wild