kitchen table math, the sequel: “Triplets” Homework, Part 2

Friday, September 7, 2007

“Triplets” Homework, Part 2

I have learned more about the troublesome triplets homework of my previous post.

In response to my questions, the teacher informed me that she had clearly stated to the class that it was just something for them to try, not to worry if they can’t get the answers. I’m assuming my daughter didn’t hear those instructions, or misunderstood. She usually tries hard to do her best on her homework, and typically becomes quite unhappy when she has to struggle to complete her work.

In addition, I was informed the triplets homework was not an “academic assignment”. Ding, ding, ding! Okay, I’m a little slow, but I think I get it now. Apparently, there are two types of homework -- “academic” and “non-academic”. As the prayer says, I can only hope for the “wisdom to know the difference”. It can be very difficult to tell sometimes.

As some commenters on my initial post noted, there seems to be a growing trend of schools telling us how to spend our home time in activities that have no real bearing on academic learning. Do they think this a way to encourage parental support? I’m with the crowd that says to the schools please just focus on academics. I’ll decide how I want to spend our family time.

Anyway, after all this, I decided that playing the “triplets game” can actually be fun. (I have a vague recollection that there is a board game based on this premise.) For this triplet - “cross, wood, blooded” – I struggled a bit before I settled upon “red” as the correct answer. However, I liked my daughter’s response much better. She confidently answered “Jesus”. Her explanation? He died on a cross, it was wood and it was blooded all over. Somehow, I don’t think this is the answer the school was expecting. :-)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

If there is a non-offensive way, maybe you can ask the teacher to tag the academic and the non-academic homework so that you can tell the difference. Then you and your daughter can ignore the non-academic homework.

-Mark Roulo

Catherine Johnson said...

wait

wait

you have a second triplets homework assignment?

Catherine Johnson said...

send in the Jesus answer

Catherine Johnson said...

in fact, make all the answers Jesus from now on

Catherine Johnson said...

This year C. will be required to write a "career essay" for Home and Health.

Ed thinks C. should say he plans a career as the 12th Imam when he grows up.

Catherine Johnson said...

We all thought that was pretty hilarious when Ed & C. cooked up the idea on the way back from the airport.

Catherine Johnson said...

My friend whose son just started high school has an assignment to write a paragraph comparing a character in a novel to himself.

This is Honors English.

SteveH said...

Tell your daughter that "Jesus" was the first thing I thought of.

Tex said...

you have a second triplets homework assignment?

Yes, but there has not been a third assignment yet. Not since she turned in her “Jesus” answer.

They might be scheduling an intervention for her. Who knows?

Tex said...

in fact, make all the answers Jesus from now on

LOL! Maybe I’ll teach her to say it this way. “JUHEEEZZUZZ!!!!”

Do you think this will scare them?

Tex said...

Ed thinks C. should say he plans a career as the 12th Imam when he grows up.

If they really want our kids to “share” about themselves in these classes, let’s make it interesting.

Tex said...

I definitely need to find a way to have the teacher tag the “non-academic” homework. I’ll have to keep thinking of a way to do this without offending her. At least, not offend her more than I already have.