kitchen table math, the sequel: more preteaching results in the offing

Monday, May 7, 2007

more preteaching results in the offing

C. took another test this week, and came home saying it was "easy."

"Easy," on the last test, translated to a score of 80, which is only 4 points above the 76 he received on the reteaching test prior. Four points is four points; I'll take it. But it's not as large a gain as I'd like to see.

However, that was the test he forgot about and took cold. There's never been a time, in the entire two years he's been in this class, that he could have taken a math test cold and scored an 80.

He studied for the test he just took. Unfortunately, he had to study almost entirely on his own because we went to the candidate's forum.

It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Regardless of his grades, it's obvious that preteaching is absolutely the way to go. I can tell by working with C. that he's getting the material, not struggling horribly with it, not lost at sea -- none of that stuff.


short attention span theater

One of the gigantic advantages of preteaching is that attention lapses in class aren't fatal.

If C. misses a point, or spaces out for a minute, or gets distracted by the other kids (apparently the class is rowdy) he can get back on track because he's already learned and practiced the material once.

My neighbor told me that next year's teacher gives reading assignments in the book.

The kids read the text (in theory), and come to class knowing a little something about the material that's going to be taught.

That sounds like heaven.

With C.'s class, every day can bring a fresh surprise!


preteaching, not reteaching
success
success, part 2
more preteaching results in the offing
preteaching saves the world
preteaching wonders of the world

6 comments:

Unknown said...

"My neighbor told me that next year's teacher gives reading assignments in the book.

The kids read the text (in theory), and come to class knowing a little something about the material that's going to be taught."

Revolutionary!

Exo said...

That is incredible!
There is a big point of reading the theory before it's explained in class.
I remember my history and geography teachers did exactly that in school - chapters were assigned for reading and summarizing BEFORE they were taught.
Somebody mentioned already that method used in college classes...

Catherine Johnson said...

Revolutionary!

yes, well.....

book larnin'

'pears to work

who'd a thunk?

Catherine Johnson said...

You know, I don't think I was ever assigned reading before classes in college (except for in a literature class).

Now that I think about it.

Catherine Johnson said...

I guess my classes used the lecture to set up the reading, which is fine, too.

But C. absolutely needs something to set up math class.

Exo said...

When I took classes in college in NY (biologies of various kinds, chemistries etc...) all the readings were assigned BEFORE the lecture.
I did't have to bother with it because it was a second time around for me (after DVM degree from Ukraine) but for many students without background (especially those right out of HS) is was a good thing. I saw how many of them struggled next to me to follow the lecture if they missed to do their reading.