kitchen table math, the sequel: TERC I am

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

TERC I am

from the Beyond TERC

Anonymous said...
I am TERC
TERC I am

That TERC-I-Am
That TERC-I-Am
I do not like that TERC-I-Am

Do you like reform in math?

I do not like it, TERC-I-Am
I do not like reform in math.

Would you like it here or there?

I would not like it here or there.
I would not like it anywhere.
I do not like reform in math.
I do not like it, TERC-I-am.

Would you like it in your class?
Would you like it for your lass?

I do not like it in any class.
I do not like it for my lass.
I do not like it here or there.
I do not like it anywhere.
I do not like reform in math.
I do not like it, TERC-I-Am.

Would you like to do the fad?
Would you like to do math bad?

Not with the fad.
Not do math bad.
Not in the class.
Not for my lass.

I would not do TERC here or there.
I would not do TERC anywhere.
I do not like reform in math.
I do not like it, TERC-I-Am.

Would you? Could you? At the store?
Draw it. Draw it.
Draw it some more.

I would not, could not at the store.
Draw it, draw it.
NO! I CAN REALLY DO MORE.

You may like it, you will see.
You may like to draw number three.

I would not, will not, draw number three.
Not at the store. TERC, let me be.

These drawings are silly, dont you see.
I understand, what is three
Now let me go, I must insist
I have real math to learn, you I can resist

I like real math, TERC I Am
I like it,
I un-der-stand it
MATH I AM

These silly games must go
I have place value I must know

I use it to subtract and add
Those terms, I know, you find bad

So TERC-I-Am, please let me be
I am MATH, I am more than counting to three

I multiply and divide
I have algorithms I can derive

TERC you must go
This I really do know

I am math and you will see
Because in the end, I will be set free

2 comments:

Barry Garelick said...

Of course, fans of "Green Eggs and Ham" know that Sam-I-Am convinces the protagonist, despite his protests against the food, to try it. He then ends up liking it. I'm afraid the school board version of TERC-I-am would end up as follows:


You do not like TERC
So you say.
Try it! Try it!
And you may.
Try it and you may, I say.

Say!
I like TERC!
I do! I like it, TERC-I-am!
And I would draw the number three
Large enough for all to see...

And I will write about eighteen
On a Smart Board in dark green.
And in a car and a latrine.
It is so good; it's NOT obscene!

So I will do math in a box.
And I will use it to count socks.
For problems that require some thought,
I will not say all is for naught,
I've worked in groups, not seats in rows,
So I'll just call a friend who knows!

Say! I will use TERC ANYWHERE!

I do so like
TERC!
Thank you!
Thank you,
TERC-I-am!

Instructivist said...

Very clever, Barry!