kitchen table math, the sequel: Off Topic -- Corpse Flower Blooming At UConn

Friday, May 11, 2007

Off Topic -- Corpse Flower Blooming At UConn

For all you botany enthusiasts -- the Titan Arum, aka Corpse Flower, is beginning to bloom tonight at the UConn Storrs greenhouse. This is a really cool event -- after growing the plant from seed for 10 years, it first bloomed in 2004. The bloom last about 2 days. It will probably be years before we see another. These are the largest known flower-like structure in the plant world. They also have an incredibly nasty smell.

I've been watching this unfold for the past two weeks, ever since I happened to chat with the manager of the UConn greenhouse at a children's science expo.

The greenhouse website is updating frequently as the bloom slowly opens. I'm hoping to get the kids in the car very early tomorrow as there can be long lines to see this thing happen.

The manager told me that there have been 3 blooms in all of New England (ever). All 3 have been grown from seed from the plant at UConn.

The greenhouse will be open all night tonight if anyone just can't sleep and wants to get an early peak (sniff) at this magnificent beast. To see more, the Greenhouse Website has lots of information.

10 comments:

Karen A said...

Thanks for posting this! I went to the Greenhouse Website--it's pretty amazing!

SteveH said...

"The greenhouse will be open all night tonight "

Gee, I'm only about a hour away and it's 10pm. Many may not realize that UConn (Storrs) is out in the sticks of Eastern Connecticut. It is a Land Grant college that was established as an agricultural school for boys. It was the Connecticut Agricultural College from 1899 to 1933. Many of the early settlers came to Connecticut for farming. Even tobacco is still big. I picked shade-grown tobacco when I was 14 and 15 - up in LynnG's area.


Nowadays for UConn, however, one might consider it a basketball (men and women) college. That seems to be more beneficial for their image and fundraising than academic programs - or agriculture. Another indication of their sports priority is that they put the football stadium in East Hartford, nowhere near the campus. Students have to be bussed to the games.

LynnG said...

And the UConn medical center is in Farmington.

It's really wierd, the first time you drive to UConn. You do not expect a University to appear as you travel down a small, two lane road past farms and little bitty towns.

I've wondered why it's out there in the first place.

Thanks for providing the history, Steve.

Still lots of tobacco barns up here, Steve, if you ever miss being a part of the harvest.

SteveH said...

"Still lots of tobacco barns up here, Steve, if you ever miss being a part of the harvest."

I have good memories. I learned to work hard. But I don't miss the $1.10 and hour. Then again, when my father worked the tobacco fields when he was growing up, it was 25 cents an hour.

Catherine Johnson said...

Great minds think alike!

My best friend back in Studio City was obsessed with this plant!

They had one growing at one of the museums there, and she waited in line, in her car, for hours to see it.

She said she wanted to shriek at people, "Get out of the way and let me look at the hideous plant!!!"

LynnG said...

We got there a little before 9 am this morning. Had a great chat with the people in the green house.

No lines, no waiting, you could sit and watch it for as long as you like, but it smells bad and it's really hot, so the youngest kid lasted about 15 minutes before she began to protest.

Most of the students have cleared out -- classes must all be over now.

It is such a cool plant, I'm glad we went.

I believe it has peaked in its blooming and will be completely flopped over tomorrow afternoon or Monday.

Also saw some relatives of the Corpse Flower -- the Devil's Tongue and others.

Catherine Johnson said...

oh gosh....I'm wondering if we need to DROP EVERYTHING & try to get there...

Stephanie Ozenne said...

I saw one in Pasadena (at Huntington Gardens) years ago. My mom made me go, but it was quite an experience (sight and scent) so I'm glad she did. I'd say drop everything, even though your kids think you're lame. They'll remember it for life.

LynnG said...

I guess it is already too late to drop everything and head to UConn. The greenhouse website says the bloom is past peak (already) and they will be closed tomorrow (Sunday).

Next time.

Catherine Johnson said...

oh heck

I just looked up Storrs - it's 2 1/2 hours away.