kitchen table math, the sequel: shotgun wedding

Monday, June 18, 2007

shotgun wedding

t/k

I was on the board of the National Alliance for Autism Research for 7 years. People used to bug me about internecine warfare all the time.

All the time.

I finally started saying, nicely, "You can put your energies into bugging CAN & NAAR about internecine warfare, or you can put your energies into raising money to fund research."

I remember that having a big effect on a couple of people, and rightly so.

This morning Ed was reading snippets of the autism article out loud.

When I read it myself, I'll probably have something to say.

4 comments:

harriska2 said...

internecine warfare is a new one one me. What does it mean?

Anonymous said...

internecine?
well, among language snobs,
it's commonly held that
it means "mutually destructive"
but is commonly used to mean
"within a group".

Catherine Johnson said...

right

we were in CONSTANT hot water for internecine conflict

of course that's putting aside the fact that we had internecine conflict within the internecine conflict

both of these two rival groups, NAAR & CAN, had conflicts within their own boards. (I know NAAR did, because I was part of the conflict; my understanding is that CAN did, too. It would be surprising if they didn't.)

harriska2 said...

Oh good Lord, why don't these guys just split up into their niches and stay that way. Better to have a solid mission statement with motivation and unity in moving forward than trying to do everything under one house. That's why I'm starting a POAC of Oregon - no one else is representing ABA or VB, let alone Direct Instruction in this state...