kitchen table math, the sequel: Superintendent To Retire

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Superintendent To Retire

Last night, our Superintendent for the past 12 years announced her intention to retire at the end of the next school year. The Supt has proven herself to be an adept politician, bringing in Everyday Math is sure to be one of her claimed successes; also pushing for "professional learning communities" and the demise of the gifted program, also she ended norm-referenced testing.

So, I'm not shedding any tears here, but I expect we will begin searching for a new Supt., and I'd like to figure out how to keep things from getting any worse. On the downside -- I suspect we are going to have to pay a lot more for a new Supt. This one got $153,000 per year, and that is low for Conn.

So, any suggestions on what parents can do to influence the choosing of a new leader? I'm going to assume that no one is going to invite me onto the committee that will choose a successor.

Let's hope that guy from Ridgewood, NJ doesn't apply for the job!


superintendent to retire
re: hiring a new superintendent

7 comments:

Catherine Johnson said...

Thinking Out Loud sent me a list of questions to ask superintendents; Eclectic Educator posted them.

Let me find them.

Catherine Johnson said...

Is there any way you can persuade the board to put you on the committee?

Catherine Johnson said...

I wonder whether you should order a copy of the Different Drummers report from Public Agenda & send that to the board.

I think Public Agenda may also have a good report on parent & public opinion.

Also, I think it might be good for them to see the study from American School Board Journal about voters supporting increases in achievement.

Catherine Johnson said...

Why Did Your Budget Get Defeated?

Nurturing the Life of the Mind

"Nurturing the Life of the Mind" is a Linda Moran find that looks incredible (haven't read it yet myself).

Both of these articles were published in school board journals, which may make them potentially more influential with school board members...

TurbineGuy said...

I find intimidation and blackmail work well, especially in the 3rd world, but considering todays "politically correct" atmosphere that frowns on good old politics, I suppose your best option is to band together with like minded folks and form an action committee.

It's easy to ignore one or two people, but a group of 20 or 30 parents can have extrordinary power.

Anonymous said...

I hope your superintendent doesnt come to Ridgewood NJ.

Ridgewood needs a core knowledge person take the helm.

That would balance the constructivists that are there.

LynnG said...

I think you are safe in Ridgewood. Ours is heading to Michigan. And it sounds like she's getting out of the superintendent business.

She's probably going to start consulting, flexible hours, great pay, no accountability.