kitchen table math, the sequel: back to basics

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

back to basics

hmmm...

After reading this passage in Carl Binder's article Doesn't Everybody Need Fluency? (pdf file) I decided to give C. a speed test today.

[I]n regular classrooms we learned that students need to be able to write answers to between 70 and 90 simple addition problems per minute in order to be able to successfully and smoothly master arithmetic story problems. However, some students seemed to level off at around 20 or 30 problems per minute, and no amount of reward or encouragement seemed to help. Some of our colleagues (Starlin, 1971; Haughton, 1972) decided to check how many digits those students could read and write per minute—critical components of writing answers to problems. As you might guess, they were very slow, which held down their composite performance. With practice of the components on their own to the point of rapid accurate performance (for example, reading and writing digits at 100 per minute or more), students were able to progress smoothly toward competence on solving the written math problems.

70 problems per minute = 70 problems per 60 seconds

C. did two timed tests. The first was 50 problems; the second was 25.

70 problems/60 seconds = 50 problems/43 seconds

To meet this performance, standard he needed to write answers to 50 simple addition problems in 43 seconds. Right?

First test: 50 problems in 190 seconds.

yikes

After he was done, I took the same test & clocked in at 50 problems in 35 seconds without breaking a sweat. (Try it yourself. You'll see.)

I had C. try the test again. He cut his time in half, but he was still at 50 problems/66 seconds. He says he's tired & has a headache....but then again I'm tired, too, (albeit sans headache) not to mention old.

I'll have him take a third speed test tomorrow. If he's not down to 43 problems/50 seconds, I'll test his speed writing digits. Then, when I find out there's no way in h - e - double hockey sticks he can write 100 digits in 60 seconds, we will commence printing practice.

So.... we're back to handwriting. Yet another inconsequential non-21st century skill never, ever taught to mastery in our public schools!

bonus narrative: C. used cursive writing to label his Saxon percent ovals, leading me to the discovery that he's writing his f's wrong.

"I think you're writing your f's wrong."

"No I'm not! That's how you're supposed to write 'f'!"

I decided not to argue about it.

Let off the hook, C. stared at my cursive version of the letter "b" for a couple of seconds, then said, "I forgot how to write b's."

I decided not to argue about that, either.



simple addition worksheets online:

create & print whole number addition worksheets from aplusmath (best source - you can specify 50 problems)
free whole number addition worksheets from S&S Software
create & print addition worksheets
free math worksheets from tlsbooks
free math worksheets from math-drills.com

back to basics
speed test

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mine was making his big cursive F's like a big T. I told him he was missing the little cross across the vertical line and he said I was wrong.

His capital E's were facing the other way.

Catherine Johnson said...

C. is doing the bottom loop of the cursive F backwards.