kitchen table math, the sequel: fractions speak louder than nerds

Sunday, July 15, 2007

fractions speak louder than nerds

brand new blog!

from a middle school math teacher!

This is exciting.

Believe it or not, I have thoughts of going back to school, majoring in math (after I finish high school math, that is) and teaching math to middle school kids.

This is one of the craziest impulses I've had in my life, no doubt, so we'll see.

As much as I'm not a fan of credentialism, in this case it's saving my life, since the years it would take to acquire the relevant credentials are the only thing standing between me and the abyss.

otoh, now that I'm becoming seriously interested in the teaching of composition.... I'm equipped for that, though not credentialed.

That's another thing. I guess I'd have to get an English literature degree to teach ELA, right? But I don't want an English literature degree!

Maybe I should be rooting for the writing-across-the-curriculum folks, after all.

Anyway..... one way or another I'm probably headed back to the classroom in some way. I come from a long line of teachers on both sides of the family. My grandpa was superintendent of schools in my hometown; my mom's mom taught English 'til middle age when her eyes started to bother her (too much paper grading) so she went back to school, took calculus, and switched to math; my sister was an elementary school teacher; my other sister taught high school (she subs now); I began life teaching college ..... plus I spend every day thinking & writing about teaching not to mention attempting to teach my son and me.....

(And let us not forget the fact that I taught Jimmy* to tie his shoes. Now that is a credential.)

Looking forward to Ms. Longhorn's blog.


* for newbies: Jimmy has autism

No comments: