kitchen table math, the sequel: EM and special ed

Sunday, July 8, 2007

EM and special ed

from anonymous:

My daughter is classifed with a learning disability in math. It has never been established to my satisfication that she actually has a disability. But she was doing horribly with Everyday Math, so I agreed to classify her because she needs the help.

This year, I worked with her using Saxon and Kumon, and she scored advanced proficient on state standardized tests.

The school thinks that she is disabled. The school will not even consider the possibility that she's just a weak student who is completely befuddled by Everyday Math.

She has attention issues as well, but do these issues amount to Attention Deficit Disorder? I don't know. The doctors think she has ADD, but they don't think it's a severe case.

If we were poor, my daughter would be so far behind right now, she would never catch up.

Christian (attended Mamaroneck schools until junior high, then went to school in Yonkers) was classified SPED for his entire school career. He's one of the smartest people I know; his reading tests college level and clearly is college level.

His math tests end-of-3rd grade on the Saxon Math placement tests.

No comments: